Talley LLP is a full service accounting, auditing and financial services firm located in Orange, CA seeking a highly motivated and experienced audit professional to be part of our growing team. We serve entrepreneurs and their closely held entities in healthcare, professional services, trucking, distribution, manufacturing and wholesale industries. We act with integrity and work proactively with our clients to provide value-added financial, tax and consulting services.
Reporting to the Audit Manager and having significant interaction with the firm’s other audit manager, partners and other department management, the ideal candidate will have strong technical skills and will be committed to become an MTA to the firms’ clients. The candidate will actively contribute to the department’s process improvement initiatives; provide and accept training for audit department team members; and to support the firm’s growth by understanding and deploying the firm's various service initiatives. The audit senior functions well in an ever-changing, challenging environment.
The audit senior will have interaction with all of the various service departments and administration team. This position will have direct client interaction throughout the year and will quickly become a client service manager (CSM), responsible for developing and implementing audit and consulting services for clients, as well as identifying and facilitating assistance for other client’s needs.
Essential Functions of the Position
- Ability to design, applies and properly documents the entire audit approach (including the planning, interim, and final fieldwork).
- Ability to design audit programs based on the audit plan; is effective at allocating work between interim and year-end fieldwork.
- Ability to design program steps to test key controls.
- Ability to understand the factors which contribute to business and professional risk and is learning to apply this knowledge to specific risk environments.
- Ability to determine when sampling methods are appropriate, and can apply these methods effectively and interpret the results.
- Ability to execute all aspects of fieldwork for a recurring engagements with moderate direction from management.
- Capable of auditing a basic tax provision.
- Ability to integrate and coordinate internal audit procedures in the audit plan.
- Knowledgeable about sources of accounting and auditing literature available for research and problem resolution.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of specialized accounting and auditing areas.
- Drafts/understands financial statements and related disclosures and other support with moderate supervision.
- Recognizes and drafts appropriate audit reports for other than unqualified opinions.
- Effectively utilizes the Firm’s accounting and reporting manuals and other Firm’s reference materials in the resolution of issues.
- Exhibits the ability to document audit issues and conclusions reached.
- Clearly documents the results of research and complex analyses and related conclusions.
- Demonstrates professional concern and exercises due care with respect to work reviewed.
- Performs thorough review of workpapers to assure audit steps have been completed, conclusions have been supported, and Firm policies have been met.
- Has working knowledge in specialized areas/industry-specific accounting, regulatory and reporting matters.
- Identifies and implements uses of computer applications on the engagement.
- Prepares complex spreadsheets.
- Demonstrates a thorough working knowledge and promotes the use of computers and Firm software and other commonly used application software.
- Understands the basic nature and strategy of the client’s operating, investing, and financing activities.
- Understands and can explain the client’s accounting policies and has knowledge of the financial information systems.
- Aware of external factors affecting the client’s business/industry and can converse with client management about the business.
- Understands key ratios and statistics for the client and industry.
- Receives client’s respect and is sought for inquiries and requests of client.
- Knows appropriate level of client to deal with for resolution of issues.
- Effectively deals with diverse management personalities.
- Responds to client needs and requests in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Identifies multifunctional opportunities to improve client service in connections with issues beyond the scope of the audit.
- Drafts a clear and concise management letter that contains all substantive points identified.
- Identifies management letter comments that are meaningful in relation to client’s operations and accounting systems/procedures.
- Takes responsibility for overall engagement planning and job administration, including drafting of engagement letter, arranging for client assistance and preliminary staffing.
- Prioritizes workload for self and staff.
- Completes all phases of the planning process before fieldwork begins.
- Directs the work of staff and explains objectives and procedures to be performed.
- Demonstrates ability to direct and control small/moderate sized engagements and manage process to a successful completion.
- Effectively delegates appropriate work among staff.
- Responds to changing engagement circumstances.
- Monitors job progress and anticipates staffing needs.
- Is flexible and can effect balance in the needs of the engagement and the needs of the staff.
- Performs a timely review of working papers.
- Completes engagements on a timely basis.
- Efficiently monitors and controls all time spent on engagements
- Reconciles engagement time inputs.
- Prepares detail budgets for less complex engagements.
- Performs analysis of budget to actual at completion of fieldwork and/or engagement.
- Keeps engagement management informed of engagement timing and performance against budget.
- Assumes responsibility for the successful completion of the engagement.
- Ascertains the financial statements and footnotes agree with working trial balances, cross-references are mathematically accurate, and all additional information and amounts are supported by the workpapers.
- Verifies that all senior, manager, and partner review notes are adequately cleared.
- Identifies and communicates significant accounting, auditing, and reporting matters to engagement management on a timely basis.
- Keeps engagement management informed of progress of engagement and problems on a timely basis.
- Informs engagement management of reasons for budget overruns, if any.
- Works with engagement management to keep client informed of engagement status on a timely basis.
- Effectively delegates work in order to develop staff members.
- Provides staff with on-the-job training on technical issues and audit methodologies.
- Provides proper instruction to staff and monitors staff performance.
- Motivates staff through professional and technical reputation and enthusiasm.
- Provides a thought-provoking workpaper review.
- Provides staff with constructive feedback throughout the engagement, both positive and negative.
- Writes and discusses workpaper review notes with staff in a constructive manner.
- Provides staff with timely, quality written appraisals, including meaningful areas for improvement.
- Documents specific examples of staff behavior to support appraisal ratings.
- Discusses the appraisal with the staff member and management and completes the appraisal within time frame required by Firm policy.
- Is an effective role model.
- Supervises the staff, communicates clear definition of objectives and expectations, monitors progress and minimizes conflicts.
- Maintains a positive attitude with the staff.
- Works well with and manages diverse engagement team personalities.
- Follow department policies and procedures.
- Identify and look for process improvement ideas.
- Participate in department monthly meetings and after-action review.
Must be willing and able to travel to client’s office.
We are generous when it comes to taking care of our professionals and staff members. Here is a brief summary of what we provide:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Paid Holidays
- New Client Referral Rewards